Monday, October 12, 2009

Knocking out the miles !

Hello again to all of ya'll. I've been back on the road after Acadia for about four days now pushing headlong into a headwind. At times the wind has been strong enough to bring my morale and forward progression to all time lows. But never fear! Revival is merely a thought away. My main motivation now is seeing the A-town crew at Horse Pens 40 in Alabama and nip'n on a jar of shine around the campfire. Ah, the memories that are conjured up doing exactly that...I miss you guys. I'm dead set on making it there though it requires 1600 miles worth of pedaling in 25 days, yikes. I've afforded myself five days of rest as long as I can complete eighty miles a day. So do an interpretive dance for me to ward off the rain and cast out the wind and I'll do my best to keep up the pace. ( And when I see you we'll have a "interpretive dance-off", and yes the winner gets a prize.) I think my favorite and most repeated line I've heard so far has been, "Your heading south? Don't worry it's all downhill." Which leaves me hopeful that eventually I will find the proof of this widespread theory, though I haven't had any luck yet.
While out on the road today riding south on U.S. Highway 1 I bumped into a fellow rider, a local to the area. He not only showed me a shortcut bike path which cut out a major portion of city traffic, but also put me up for the night in an apartment adjoining his house just outside of Portland, Maine. The property is beautiful and has a seventeenth century farm feel with the history to go along with it. It's bound to rain tonight and tomorrow morning so I'll be sure to enjoy sleeping in a bed for a change. Also today I discovered that I'd cracked a weld loose on my bike frame. A trip to an auto-body shop, some MiG welding, small talk, and ten dollars later put me back in business. Sometimes it pays off to have a steel frame bike ( take that you ultra light bike nuts ).

Oh and don't get too excited, I did not get another camera. You're lucky I've got a backlog of photos that haven't been seen yet. Although they're a little generic I think it adds to the verbal flavor of the blog to keep posting them. I like the idea of getting a new camera contributed for the duration of my adventure ( stroking my beard ) now where would I get one of those...

2 comments:

  1. That picture is awesome, made me laugh! I wish I was going to be down in Alabama to do a little nipn' with you. Travel Safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree. That top photo of you is great! Roll on, and Jaime and I look forward to seeing you at HP40.

    ReplyDelete