Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The story of David


I would like to tell you the story of David Phillip McKinley. David was 19 years old and anxious to be on his own. One day he had the notion to leave the comforts of his hometown and travel abroad. His travels eventually led him to Acadia National Park, a place filled with beautiful ocean side cliffs and stunning vistas. Impressed with the overall impact of such an awesome wilderness preserve he set out to do his best at having a fulfilling experience and began to check off " to do's " on his list. Climb a mountain and post up base camp, check. Watch the sunrise as one of the first to do so in the United States, check. Have invigorating night hikes along steep trails, check. It seemed David was doing just fine on his trip, but one item on the list nagged at him. Climbing the rocks in the morning along the crashing shoreline.

The morning of October third was the day, it had to be. The full moon was only one evening away which left the entire island a virtual playground both night and day. After such a quiet and brisk night it made sense to head out to the cliffs at dawn to soak in the warmth of a new day. When David reached the shoreline the sun was in full force and so was the surf. He traversed along the rocks and admired the beauty of the stagnant pools of seawater that were so abundant with life. Most of the 'climbing' he was doing would prove to be some of the most memorable and fun of his life. He breathed in the salty spray and danced with the rising tide climbing fluidly and without contemplation. This truly would be a day worth noting in his journal, if he were able to.

As the young explorer flirted with the foaming ocean crust he neglected to realize that just below it's surface were the rip tides of despair. He had heard stories of others being swept off the rocks and disappearing, but surely this couldn't happen to him. On a day like today it seems impossible to fathom such a cruel demise. He left behind his fear and continued on underneath a outcropping which placed him completely exposed above the depths. Because there could be no fault in his perceived invincibility he never once turned around to notice the swell racing toward him. In the next few seconds all of his previously nullified doubts would become terribly real.

The swell of the rising tide pulled David from the rock with a force that cannot be reckoned with. He kicked and scraped at the rock face he'd just been ripped from with wild eyed frenzy. His body was being churned and slammed into the rocks by the same water he thought was harmless. Over and over again he would claw at the nothingness of a shear cliff face with no success. His efforts never ceased, however his thoughts turned to the people he loved who would have no idea what had happened to him. He began to wish he had the chance to tell them all how much of an impact on his life they've made. He felt sorry for having forsaken such love to be selfishly trekking around solo. He began to wish there was someone there to save him. No one ever came.

I was fortunate enough to make it out of the water. It was a hell of an experience. David never made it, I found the plaque commemorating his existence near where mine had almost ended. I want you all to know I'm fine, just a little banged up and I'll never do anything that stupid again. Unfortunately I was climbing with my satchel on and my camera and mp3 player have bit the dust. Up above are the last two pictures I took before being pulled aside by mother nature and given a good scolding. I hope you all know how much it will mean to me when I get to see your smiling faces again. I'm glad I'll have the chance.

5 comments:

  1. Phil! lemme know where I can send a money order. My days at work are spent living vicariously through your blog and waiting for the next post. I need pictures though so I'll totally throw down some loot. Hopefully others will see this post and do the same?! You'll go to a Wal-Mart or other electronic retailer. I'll continue finding ways to procrastinate. Everybody wins..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil I can't believe what I just read. I know your mother just called and was crying. She was so worried about you on Saturday because we hadn't heard from you in some time. I know that you probably went through a very scary situation but managed to survive it. The good Lord must have sent an Angel to watch over you. Let me tell you son, we think about you daily and worry about you more than you will ever imagine. Please call the next time you get a chance. From your posting I gathered that there was really a David and he lost his life there where you are at. Please son be careful and remember we love you very much. Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to know that your strength was able to help you through what must have been a crazy situation. We aren't as invisible as we would like to seem, and unfortunately some us learn this the hard way... I'm glad you didn't.

    You're an amazing person, Phil and I am 100% proud to say that you're my brother. Ones like you are few and far between... we're very fortunate to have each other.

    I have about 65 huge bear hugs saved up for you right now, and counting.

    Thanks for keeping us all updated with your adventures. We'll be waiting patiently for you with a tasty cool beverage in our hands, waiting to talk to night away and hear all your stories in person when you get back.

    Much love to you. Please stay safe.

    P.S. I'm with Stroup... a new camera is necessary for such a journey! Let me know what we can do to help! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey phil,

    im in cicny doing work....wanted to check in on ya. hope all is well for you these days, i enjoy checking your blog when i gots the internet. please be careful man

    i miss ya buddy, so whats the latest news?

    missy the dog says hi and is doing ok despite your absenteeism

    best,
    fatty

    ReplyDelete