Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Little Rock City not Horse Pens 40

So, I've decided after pushing through the first five hundred mile week that to keep up the pace I'd need more than just willpower. I'm sure I'd have to call upon the powers that be to hold back the weather and give me the strength to endure such a grueling pace. I wasn't allowing myself adequate rest periods during the day, nor was I taking any days off. I'm sure if I'd have continued you would've seen merely a shadow of the man you used to know, if I even made it there. Now I plan on meeting you all at Little Rock City instead.

The mileage I mentioned before brought me to the doorstep of New York City. Having decided to take some time off and recover from the last push all I needed to do was find lodging. Before my legs could even cool down the rumble of a Harley Davidson was drawing my attention. The steel horse's pilot was a strong accented Cuban man with a parrot on his shoulder as co-pilot ( not kidding ). Before introductions he complimented me on my bike setup and aggressively asked where I was staying. When I told him I hadn't a clue his response was: "You got it,need a shower? You got it, food? You got it!" In a thick New York / Cuban tongue. And that was it, I followed Carlos back to his pad overlooking the Hudson River and sprawled my things out in my own bedroom. I spent the next few days getting to know him and his seven birds ( four parakeets, two parrots, and a macaw ).

Of course I went into the city. I spent all the money I had with me every time I went. There are too many things to tell you about, but I can sum it all up by saying WOW. It was huge, and noisy, and dirty, and in a strange way beautiful. I met up with my buddy Mills and had a blast getting tanked then roaming all over the south side via taxi. I wandered around Times Square at peak hour on a Friday afternoon. Took subways and trains in and out of the city. All in all it was a great experience. And strangely enough now that I'm out and back on the road I miss it. I wish I could spend more time there but in this case money buys time, and I'm trying to be conservative.

I want to say thank you to Mills and Carlos for helping me have a great time in the 'Big Apple'. I'm sure that I would've just passed it by if you hadn't have extended your helping hand. I know for a fact I will return, for as much as I saw there's alot more to be seen. Next time though I'll come with a bigger budget.

1 comment:

  1. Phil,
    I don't want to bring you down but I thought you would want to know the Following: We met in a camping area in New Hampshire. My Wife Bette found your camp while walking the dogs. We shared some food and the next morning a fire and good conversation. Bette really enjoyed following your blog.

    Well Bette died this past Sunday. We were married for over 30 years. I am so overcome with grief... Reading your blog and knowing the rest of the world is still going on helps.
    Keep on trucking,

    Jaime
    You can see what I have written about Bette on my blog:
    http://random-thoughts-and-interests.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete